View Profile OcularNebula

All 52 Audio Reviews

52 w/ Responses

Your music is really interesting

I like how boldly you merge seemingly unconventional elements together. You take the basic standard framework of a genre, like in this case, dnb - the drums are crisp, the breaks are appropriately spaced, there is variety in the fills and the sort of energy you expect from dnb.

The little delayed motif feels very consistent throughout the song, and there probably would have been just too much of it, if not for all the other fun harmonic stuff that gets layered with it, as well as the brief pause for when the vocal bits come in, there's some nice contrast.

It feels very progressive. The harmonies are super open, and it's non-standard, which might turn some people off, I guess, but that's what's fresh about this. The composition feels so cohesive as a whole, especially given the title.

It is lacking bass, though. Fans of genre conventions could be a bit disappointed, but otherwise the production is quite good. Albeit, that huge hallkick with delay is pretty loud, so it might be clipping.

Basically, I thought this was really well done, and I like your style!

Athanatos responds:

Thanks Ocular,
I try to merge a lot of different aspects of music to create a song. I don't really put any planning when I create a song. I create sounds and patterns then add a beat(dubstep,dnb,hiphop,etc) such as dnb. And build from there. I actually had to build this song off another unfinished project. About the bass issue, I really really thought about adding "bass" into this song but.. I was looking for more of a gentle touch to this song. There is bass... but very little haha. And mostly coming from the pads. I really tried to make the drums flow with the atmosphere of the song. And that echoing synth that is used throughout the song... I have no idea why but I'm just in love with it. I'm using it in other tracks as well just because it sounds so unique to me, and i can manipulate it so easily. I will admit there might be some parts of this song that might turn people off but I really made it in the way I personally wanted it to be.

I really appreciate your review O.N., and I'm glad you liked how it turned out!!

pretty sweet, these are my kind of sounds!

my favorite thing is the slow n' subtle portamento lead, probably would enjoy more of that sorta thing. the other layers you've got going on complement everything fairly nicely

there's good contrast between sections in terms of instruments and rhythm, it's just too bad that the harmonic progression is so stale and never really changes

feels like the pauses between the chord hits in the breaks sections could benefit from some kind of further shaping, like some reversed snare type fx or sidechained noise or even small bits of filter automation, I'm not sure though

percussion is nice and crisp, but gets repetitive; the resulting dance feel is perhaps a little too explicit in my opinion. the four-on-the-floor is strong in this one

generally good build-ups and structure, quite enjoyable, but still ends up dragging on because of the redundant harmony I mentioned

hm, when it drops out at 2:18, probably would feel better if there was more lingering delay/verb on that last bit to make the transition less abrupt, but that might be a personal preference (well, all critique is personal preference, tbh)

I would maybe like to hear something with this type of sound/production, but more experimental in nature, I think that would be fun and enjoyable

great mood/atmosphere

piano bits really make it stand out and sound classy, grace notes ftw!

steampianist responds:

thanks man

ok, so, in the beginning I thought, "yeah, this has the standard ZipZipper creepy vibe, very well mastered, clear sounds, and generally kinda light and circusy", but then at 0:43 it got terrifying. that was a transition I wasn't expecting. really cool dark percussion in that section. vocal effects from there onward were quite effective, without being too in-your-face. the humming bit at the very end was kinda lolz though, is that even part of the song? well, I haven't even watched the video yet, but congrats on this one! it really has a lot of evil evil energy, like, supa intense.

ZipZipper responds:

The end humming happens over the credits, but I consider it a benign appendage to the piece.

would you mind revealing what about the production/mixing is particularly new/unique here, because I'm honestly curious

the tempo automations are fairly obvious, if not rather extreme. personally, I like them. I think you've honed this style to DEATH, hah

that is to say, as far as creepy circus music goes, this is top notch

it totally has that old record tint to it, perhaps due to the tempo automation, and some of the extraneous noise, I think it works pretty well

ZipZipper responds:

To death indeed. I won't tire of it until the entire world is cirque madness. I'm proud of what I love. Well...I guess it doesn't matter what I did if you didn't notice any difference. It's even very minute to me, but a bit of an improvement. I guess I was just trying to get a little clearer mix that in turn made the sound fuller/louder.

sweep lp swells

it's a very pronounced effect, and pretty interesting

the arps complement the porta saw quite well

the sounds themselves have a simple/basic lo-fi feel to them, which is appropriate for video game genre, but the reverb smooths them out a bit, which, in my opinion, is better than the dry video game feel (I lean towards trancy sounds)

percussion is very down-beat/chill

Great job!

Mawnz responds:

Thank you for the well written review O.N :D

nice

I'm always a fan of unconventional meters, and electronic music definitely doesn't have enough triple meter, so points for that

I'd say, vary up the chord progression, since the bass goes up and down between those two notes for the entire song, but on the other hand, it does add to the atmosphere, along with the waltz feel. It's like a constant lull, like you're out at sea with no shore in sight.

some parts could use volume re-balancing, such as the spot at 0:49 - the main instrument seems too loud.

I liked the guitar-ish sound later on, it was pretty fitting, yet subtle. good volume on that

create new content whenever you have time, it's one of the clearest ways to improve at anything!

pretty funky what you got here, and the sounds and bits are spot on - truly characteristic of the combo of genres you've got going on

the glide on that one synth was pretty sexy

maybe too much of the stutter glitching stuff for my taste

the ending was a treat

DJ-Hectic responds:

Thanks for the great review, dude! Glad you enjoyed it, and it's a relief to hear you dug the ending as well, since I thought I overdid it initially, but stuck with it. I actually agree that the glitchy stuff was a bit much. I might tweak it later this week if I find the time, tone down some of the syncopations. Again, much appreciated!

pretty cool

the main first lead sounds really good, but I don't think the other synths you use quite compare in intensity

at 1:09, idk how much you changed it, but it sounds a bit empty

g4ebguyGT responds:

Yea, I removed alot of the other stuff that was in your original.
Besides the actual synths, I made some just a bit louder then others in your original.
The bass kicks, hat, etc etc were all deleted and I put my own in,

I added some extra notes to the melody at the end.
Like I said, only worked on it for around a hour. There will be more versions.

So, I'm not too crazy about whatever it is you decided to modulate at 1:20 and 1:27, but since you did, why don't you also do so at 1:42, just to mark some difference after the break. That section could really benefit from not being the exact same thing.

I really like how you filled out the part at 2:11 though, and it's probably the best part of the song now, imo.

lol @ description

Synthapse responds:

think i should take that effect thing out now? I can do it in like 2 seconds

I am an independent producer of music that is primarily electronic, though I do like to keep things eclectic.

Zahar Zaharevich @OcularNebula